This is a fresh twist on a classic caramelized fennel dish – tossing the fennel with lemon zest and herbs, and topping it with goat’s cheese, is delicious. Adapted from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi.
- 4 T butter
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T sugar
- 4 small fennel bulbs
- 1/4 c fresh dill, chopped
- 1 t fennel seeds
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 5 oz goat cheese
- Cut the stems and fronds off the fennel bulbs and set aside for later.
- Cut the fennel bulbs vertically into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Heat butter and 2 olive oil over medium heat in a wide and shallow dish (the bigger the better) until the butter has melted, then add sugar and stir.
- Add a single layer of fennel bulb slices, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until transparent and lightly golden around the edges, about 5-7 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side for addition 3-5 minutes, then remove caramelized fennel bulbs from pan and set aside in a serving dish.
- Repeat with the remaining fennel bulb slices, making sure to always cook them in a single layer so that each slice is in contact with the pan.
- Once all the fennel bulbs have been caramelized, toss them with the fresh dill, fennel seeds, and lemon zest.
- Serve sprinkled with crumbled goat’s cheese.