This is the guacamole for chunky guacamole lovers – with nice firm, silky smooth chunks of avocado, and just a hint of lime-y goodness. Adapted from Cooks Illustrated.
- 3 avocados (make sure they are ripe!)
- 2 T minced onion (tip: after you mince the onion, run it under cold water to remove some of the bite)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T lime juice (reduce this amount if your avocados are small)
- Halve one avocado, remove fit, scoop flesh into medium bowl, and mash with onion, garlic, cilantro, and salt until just combined.
- Halve and pit remaining two avocados, and scoop into bowl with mashed avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle lime juice over avocado (this minimizes discoloration) and mix with fork until combined but still chunky.
- If not using immediately, cover surface with plastic wrap (press directly onto guacamole) to minimize browning.