The perfect, fresh spring salad adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 1.5″ spears
- 1 small bunch baby broccoli or broccoli rabe, trimmed into bite sized pieces
- 3 T lemon juice
- 2-3 small shallots, minced
- 6 T olive oil
- 1/4 c pine nuts, toasted
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 c shaved parmesan
- 1/4 c chopped herbs (parsley or basil works well here)
- Wash asparagus and broccoli, pat dry, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, shallot, olive oil, chopped herbs, and lemon zest, then set aside.
- To cook the vegetables, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and when hot, add a splash of olive oil and vegetables. Cover and cook, shaking the skillet frequently, for 2 minutes, until they are still bright green but have lost some of their crunch.
- Remove vegetables from heat and combine with olive oil mixture, then toss with pine nuts.
- Once cool, toss with shaved parmesan.