This is an amazing spring twist on nicoise salad – make it with fresh asparagus and high quality black olives and parmesan. It’s complemented by the acidity of the lemon. Adapted from the River Cafe Cook Book Green.
- 1 kg asparagus (the thinner the stalks, the better)
- 6 eggs
- 80 g black olives, pitted
- 3 T flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tin anchovies in olive oil, drained
- juice of 1 lemon
- 150 g (or more) parmesan cheese, shaved
- a couple handfulls of arugula
- Maldon salt and extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Beak off the tough ends of the asparagus, and blanch for 5 minutes. Drain and wash with cold water to cool, then season with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Put eggs into a medium saucepan, cover with water (the water should be at least 1/2″ above the eggs), and bring to a boil. As soon as the water starts boiling, turn off the heat and cover – let stand for 6-7 minutes.
- Drain eggs and dunk in an ice bath to cool. After a few minutes, when they are cooled, peel and cut eggs into quarters lengthwise.
- On a large plate, arrange asparagus spears on top of arugula. Arrange olives, parsley, and eggs on top. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, the sprinkle with parmesan shavings.