From Mollie Katzen’s Vegetable Heaven. A delicious savory tart – the sage gives it a unique flavor. I prefer to use a bit more cheese than the recipe calls for.
- 1 10-inch unbaked tart crust (your favorite recipe or a frozen one from the store)
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 1-2 t olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 c grated Gruyere cheese (~1/4 lb)
- 2 T minced fresh sage
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place potatoes in saucepan, cover with water, and boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet, add onion and salt, and cook on low heat until onion is tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Spread one cup of cheese into bottom of unbaked crust. Spoon onion over the cheese, and sprinkle with sage.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel (if desired) then slice thin. Arrange slices in overlapping concentric circles over cheese. Arrange bell pepper slices over potatoes in ring.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and black pepper to taste.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until crust is golden around edges. Remove tart from oven, and let tart cool for at least 10 minutes.