Adapted from Cooks Illustrated – I used golden syrup instead of molasses because it’s hard to find the latter around here. Also, the instructions have been adapted to use a hand mixer instead of a food processor.
- 3 c flour
- 3/4 c packed dark brown sugar
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 T ground ginger
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 12 T butter, softened and cut
- 3/4 c golden syrup
- 2 T milk
- Combine flour, spices, salt, and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add golden syrup and beat until combined.
- Slowly beat dry ingredients, in 2-3 portions, into butter/sugar/syrup mixture. Add milk to give the dough a slightly wetter consistency.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, and preheat oven to 180C.
- Drop cookies onto a greased or lined sheet, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until slightly darkened.