This recipe is inspired by a recent trip to Vietnam – it’s an attempt to combine the crunchiness of green beans and cucumbers with the spicy/sour/sweet of fish sauce. Adapted from Serious Eats.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small thai chili, seeds removed, minced finely
- 5 T brown sugar
- 4 T fish sauce
- 4 T lime juice
- 12 oz green beans, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 small cucumber, seeds removed, split lengthwise and cut into 1/4″ disks
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 c roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 c roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Bring a small pot of water to boil.
- Combine garlic, chili, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, and stir until combined
- Blanch beans in boiling water for approximately 1 minute, drain, and wash with cold water to stop cooking
- Combine green beans, cucumber, shallot, mint, peanuts, and dressing in a large bowl, and toss to combine