This recipe is an adaption of a salad my friend Naomi served to me. It’s very light and full of delicious flavors. If you have a grill pan, you can also cook the eggplant in that.
- 2 cups rocket, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/2 cm thick round slices
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 2/3 c feta
- handful of basil, chopped/slivered
- large handful of pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 c pomegranate seeds (see this technique for removing pomengranite seeds)
- 1 clove garlic, minced/pressed
- zest of one lemon
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 1/4 c high quality balsamic vinegar (aged is best)
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C, line a large baking tray with foil, and spray with olive oil. Spread eggplant slices flat, and spray generously with olive oil (to prevent burning).
- Cook eggplant approximately 20 minutes, until they are soft and golden brown (thinner slices will cook faster.)
- Meanwhile, while the eggplant is cooking, mix together the garlic, lemon zest, olive oil, and balsamic into a dressing. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the eggplant is done cooking, layer the salad on a platter as follows:
- Sprinkle with rocket
- Add a layer of tomatoes (arranging close together or slightly overlapping)
- Arrange eggplant in flat layers, similar to tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with feta, basil, pine nuts, and pomegranate.
- Pour dressing evenly over salad and let sit for a few minutes. Serve with couscous.